Friday, January 19, 2007

Biblical Love Redux -- WTF (Want To Fuck Friday) Poetry


Carnaval dancers, originally uploaded by VideoVik.

Before I introduce this weeks poem, just a word about the poetic art. A strong portion of myself greatly rebels against poetry that is inaccessible and incoherent. I think the hyperlink technology is a great way to add to the ability to make a poem more accessible. I am a fan of T.S. Eliot's poetry, because even with his obscure references you knew what the hell he was talking about or he at least gave you a chance to figure it out. Maybe it was all the footnotes in The Wasteland or his redemptive Four Quartets or because of his sing-song Hollow Men:

This is the way the world ends.
This is the way the world ends.
Not with a bang, but a whimper
.

Today's WTF poem takes us from the whimper ending wimp out of the world, to the beginning with Adam and Eve and from the fall to the teachings of the New Testament and culminating in the crucifixion of our Savior, Jesus Christ, examined in my own, critical fashion:

Mormon Erotica's Biblical Love Re-Dux

Adam got Eve
Because it wasn't good for man
To be alone
,
Because he needed his ass out of paradise
And suffering
In the cold cruel world.

Love your neighbor
As you love yourself

Is pretty bad fucking advice ---
Because most of us
Are pretty self-loathing.

Love your enemies,
Bless them that despitefully use you
--
This is the definition of
Romantic love.

God so loved the world
That he sent us his only begotten son.
And look what happened
To Him.

6 comments:

Lemon Blossom said...

Wow, great poem, and I don't say that lightly because I don't like poetry (usually). That last stanza (is that what it's called?) really hit me. Thanks T!

And who is that fox all oiled up and ready to go. Whoa!

Just one of many said...

LOL!! Loved the last lines...very poignant!

Anonymous said...

Jesus loves me, yes I know

Cause the Bible tells me so

That is all I need to hear

And so I know I'll never fear

Nothing else is in my head

Except a book by guys long dead

Science isn't telling me

What I can and cannot see

I never, ever take a look

Since I only own one book

Jesus is my only thought

When others ask me what I've bought

I’d rather pluck out both my eyes

So that I can't see the lies

That Science tells us are the truth

I think that Science is uncouth!

Telling me that things fall down

And how a cricket makes a sound

And how planets spin around the sun

And how the gears in watches run

I do not need to hear the facts

I only need religious tracts

And prayers to our Great Lord above

Who blinded me with Bible Love

It feels so good to be so dense

To live behind an iron fence

To shelter fragile minds from truth

(Indoctrinate them in their youth)

Feed them tales of God above

And all of His undying Love

And how he put things in this place

Plain as the nose there on your face

That seem to say that He's not real

That's just the lying Science deal!

He put them here to fool us guys

When we try to use our eyes

We know better, yes we do

Science is at best, untrue

At worst a strange Satanic plot

To show what is real, and what is not

Why should we care what is real?

We still have the Christian deal

Believe in God, at any cost

And look to others like we're lost

Hope for God to make it clear

When the Rapture cometh near

With nonbelievers left behind

You'll all be sorry that you whined

Of how we're descended from some beast

(I don't believe it in the least)

“No Thanks” I say to Science stuff

I think that I have had enough

Of facts and reason, Truth and Hope

I'd much prefer to be a dope.

-- Posted by Sweaty Balzac in the Chrome Nun forum.

Sideon said...

Wanker... you are a treasure. Thank all the known gods for those who love poetry and literature.

"...I grow old . . .I grow old . . .
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me..."

T Wanker said...

LB,

The fact that you don't really like poetry and you even broke out the word "Stanza" for me, is wonderful, thank you.

JOOM,

Poignant, yes. Also maybe, sarcastic and sacreligious?

Steve,

I had a fantastic time
Reading the doggerel rhyme
Which as a poetic form
Is the grade school norm
Good for fluff and comedy
Like religion & overstuffed piety.

Sideon,

Thank you and where the hell are you hiding the mermaids?

Sideon said...

Who said I was hiding the mermaids? :) Tangent, but did you ever see Madonna's video with mermen? Ay caramba...!

Didn't you see the "Little Mermaid"? The phallic underwater palace and your Mormon Tabernacle look eerily similar, don't you think?

MORMON EROTICA

The blog is devoted to exploring sexual issues arising out of American and Mormon culture. While the prurient may occasionally surface and while the tone may be sarcastic or sacreligious, the discussion is serious. I want to get deep.