Saturday, December 23, 2006

Phallus, Patriarchy and the Anarchy of Metaphor


bountiful_temple, originally uploaded by swilsonbp.


I'm still adjusting to the daily blogging. I'm going to have to figure out something, since my energy is being sapped quicker than I seem to be able to replenish, yet this daily publishing (even with few readers) is invigorating. I just made a long post on the Letters from a Broad blog on Natalie Collins new book and Mormon/Post-Mormon literature, which seemed to max out most of my writing tonight.

I found this lovely picture of the temple that captures so much of the church's phallic patriarchal energy. I love the glow at the point of insertion into Mother Sky. Yes, I know it is supposed to be Mother Earth and Father Sky, but somehow the ubiquitous Mormon steeple is left to fuck the sky and I didn't want to turn this post into a gay post, although I'm sure I'll discuss homosexuality and Mormonism at some point. I guess I can rephrase for inclusiveness: I love the glow as the temple spire fucks Father/Mother Sky.

Sex is the religious metaphor of this blog. Sex in its many varied aspects can metaphorically capture the seemingly irrational needs created by a religious heritage. The possibilites seem limitless: a pro and post Mormon fucking into reconciliation, an orgiastic Zion of one heart, one mind and one body, a rape of innocence and trust or a rape of cynicism and non-belief. Sex happens to be my metaphor of choice for dealing with religious metaphor.

Religion is nothing more than mythic metaphors of the human experience. I encourage you all to take the metaphors seriously. The most subtle subversion of fundamentalist religious faith occurs when the metaphor is exposed. Exposing the metaphor of religion is eating the forbidden fruit. You eat and you are out of the paradisiacal and unified world of the Church, and into the cold, cruel world of duality and ambiguity.

The acceptance of the religious metaphors by those of us in the apostate caste, forces the duality and ambiguity into true believing consciousness.

We must sow the mustard seed of unfaith.
We know the metaphors.
The metaphors resonate within us.
We need to fuck with the metaphors.

No comments:

MORMON EROTICA

The blog is devoted to exploring sexual issues arising out of American and Mormon culture. While the prurient may occasionally surface and while the tone may be sarcastic or sacreligious, the discussion is serious. I want to get deep.